CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Orientation (No, not that one)

Let me ask you a question? What is your orientation to life? To events that happen in life?

Well, what is orientation? Answers.com say it's:

-The direction followed in the course of a trend, movement, or development
-A tendency of thought; a general inclination
-One's place and direction relative to one's surroundings; bearings, location, position
-The ascertainment of one's true position, as in a novel situation, with respect to attitudes, judgments, etc.
-An integrated set of attitudes and beliefs
-A usually general or lasting direction of thought or inclination
I was raised around people who constantly spoke, sang, and all but bragged about what they were "going through." It was as if they were super humans because they endured uncontrollable turmoil to which someone subjected them. Well, in 32 years of life, I've come to see that one's orientation to life, one's prevailing perspective, translates into one's daily experience. If your integrated set of attitudes and beliefs is that life is full of proverbial "storms", then guess what 's bound to happen? Storms.

Some people's thought pattern is that of a recording artist I heard on the radio. He said "At any given time, you're in one of three places. You just came out of a storm, are in one now, or about to go into one." Worse than that was the audience cheering in the background.

How could I have a life of victory, which God intends for humanity, if I'm ever looking up the road anticipating the next round of heartache? Fahgitabbouit! I expect to win. My God always causes me to triumph. Why not be so "distracted" by where you're going that you, literally, have no time to regard drama.

Don't misread me, my love! Far be it from me to suggest that one can live trouble free. Nah, nah, nah! What I'm saying is that you owe it to yourself to 1) discover and document your orientation, and 2) precisely define what "storms" you're experiencing. Are you reaping what you've sown? Is it a misunderstanding? Is someone being malicious? Remember Ella's song, Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall? That's within reason. But, C'mon babe! Is this overwhelmingly the case for you? Is someone hating on you at all times? Do you climb the rough side of the mountain every day? Then stop giving it radio play. :) Don't speak of what you don't want and what you won't do. What do you want? I know you're glad you don't look like where you've come from, but what do you look like? Where are you going?

See how long you can go without complaining how bad things are for you. Can you go a whole day without referring to your "trials and tribulations"? I dare ya. :)

Beloved, a change in your orientation necessitates a change in speech. I've met people who's orientation is towards:
pain
struggle
problems
suffering
defeat
enduring
getting by
victimhood
hardship
brokenness
being broke (financially)
offense/being offended
going through (hell)
helplessness

However, try on for size these words to describe your orientation to life.

Progress
Promise
Prevail
Plenty
Wholeness
Victory
Solutions
Overcoming
Foresight
Conquering
Focus

On your side,

Myisha

PS, I dedicate this post to two very nice people I've recently met: Pastors Andrae and Sandra Crouch. A brief interaction with Pastor Sandra reinforced my orientation to progressiveness.

0 comments: