CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, October 4, 2009

The One Thing - Exhorter Extraordinare

Hi Family,

I've wondered about my purpose on earth. Was my profession as a sign language interpreter all there was to me? Nope. Teaching sign language and interpretation was a thrill whose season had ended. I'm compelled to make a difference so I received training as a rape crisis advocate, answering hotline calls and accompanying sexual assault victims to forensic exams. I'd, later, write a book on Christianity (http://www.firmfoundationchristian.com/) after seeing recent converts ("Babes in Christ") falter for lack of nurturing. Now at 32, I'm glad to announce the one thing I've been gifted with that I affirm as my overall identity. Dear hearts, my name is Myisha J. Blackman and I'm an exhorter.

I discovered this was my spiritual gift while in grad school. I look over my life and see how God has used my words, my personality, and my writing, among other things, to come alongside people who are down, hurting, alone or vulnerable, to show love, compassion, and simply lift them up.

"I'm an exhorter" feels so good to say. This special ability keeps me up at night and I daydream about ways to comfort and encourage people. I'll keep it real. I've been half-hearted concerning other areas of my life. But this one thing about me is something I vow to refine. So much of what I do, I'm coming to realize, is a direct result of being an exhorter:

a. hospital visits
b. befriending people who are alone, sick, etc.
c. calling, texting, emailing people to see how they are
d. contacting friends during vulnerable times (Mothers Day, Fathers Day, birthdays of deceased loved ones)
e. sensitivity to those discouraged, in need, or rejected
f. frustration upon hearing talk of powerlessness
g. bragging about someone in front of them and others
h. upset over seeing suffering, people in trouble, and kids being mistreated
i. suggesting specific ways to improve one's circumstances, help change one's thinking
j. showing acceptance
k. expressing that I care or miss someone (e.g, when I haven't seen him/her for a while)
m. challenging to take an alternate view (i.e., to seemingly destructive thinking patterns)
n. urging to pursue one's dreams
o. having an optimistic view (orientation) toward the world
p. being supportive and reassuring

I must confess that I haven't always been meek when challenging or otherwise interacting with people. At times, I've been militant and harsh. If I've hurt you in any way, please forgive me. I'm getting better. I'm learning to love God's way: with gentleness and warmth, having love as my motivation.

Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers as I serve the Lord and the planet to the best of my ability and beyond.

Still rooting for you,
Myisha

0 comments: